- Location: South-east Asia, between Iran and India
- Population: approx 177 million - 6th largest in the world
- Capital city: Islamabad
- Language: Punjabi (44%), Pashto (15%), Sindhi (14%), Saraiki (12%), Urdu (8% - but national language & understood by 90%), Balochi (4%)
- Religion: Islam (96%), Hinduism (1.5%), Christianity (1.5%)
- Currency: Rupee PKR (143 PKR = approx £1 GBP)
- International dialing code: 0092
- Economy: 47th largest in the world
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Photos are taken from various sites across the internet. Full copyright of these beautiful photos belong to the original photographers - please seek their permission before using them. Jazzakallah'khair / Dhonnobad / Thank you for letting us use them here.
Map of Pakistan
Brief history of Pakistan
...flower: Common Jasmine
...animal(s): Markhor (wild goat)
...bird: Chukar Partridge
Qaumī Tarāna (Pakistan's national anthem)
Pāk Sarzamīn (The Pure Land)
- Created by Hafeez Jullundhri (1952)
- Original music by Ahmad G. Chagla (1950)
- English translation by
- First used in
- Hasani? Didn't know that! Music was created two years before the lyrics written. No verse in the three stanza lyrics is repeated
pāk sarzamīn shād bād
kishwar-i hasīn shād bād
tū nishān-i `azm-i `alīshān
markaz-i yaqīn shād bād
pāk sarzamīn kā nizām
qūwat-i ukhūwat-i `awām
qaum, mulk, sultanat
pā'inda tābinda bād!
shād bād manzil-i murād
parcham-i sitāra-o hilāl
rahbar-i taraqqī-o kamāl
tarjumān-i māzī, shān-i hāl
sāya-i khudā-i zu'l-jalāl.
Blessed be the sacred land
Happy be the bounteous realm
Thou symbol of high resolve
O Land of Pakistan!
Blessed be thou centre of faith
The order of this sacred land
Is the might of the brotherhood of the people
May the nation, the country, and the state
Shine in glory everlasting!
Blessed be the goal of our ambition
The flag of the crescent and star
Leads the way to progress and perfection
Interpreter of our past, glory of our present
Inspiration of our future!
Shelter of God, the Glorious and Mighty
Official website: www.pakistan.gov.pk
Prime Minister of Pakistan website: www.pmo.gov.pk/
President of Pakistan website: www.presidentofpakistan.gov.pk/
Election in Pakistan
- Name of Parliament National Assembly of Pakistan
- Parliament housed in
- Term duration years
- Members of Parliament (MP)
- Last election (2010) result
- Current Speaker of House of Commons
History of government (Last 10)
- 1993 - 1993 Caretaker
- 1993 - 1996 Pakistan Peoples Party
- 1996 - 1997 Caretaker
- 1997 - 1999 Pakistan Muslim League (N)
- 1999 - 2002 Post abolished
- 2002 - 2004 Pakistan Muslim League (Q)
- 2004 - 2004 Pakistan Muslim League (Q)
- 2004 - 2007 Pakistan Muslim League (Q)
- 2007 - 2008 Pakistan Muslim League (Q)
- 2008 - Present Pakistan Peoples Party
Main political parties within Pakistan
Education system in Pakistan
There are no images in the gallery.
These beautiful photos are taken from various sites across the internet. Full copyright belong to the original photographers. Thank you for letting us use them here.
Videos of Pakistan
This site is made for you. Help keep the content fresh, relevant and functional by reporting any error.
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah ()
- Dr Abdus Salam (1926 - 1996) Physicist. Awarded Nobel Prize in Physics (1979) - the first Muslim and Pakistani to win a nobel prize in sciences. Founder of Pakistan's space programme. Rejected from services to Indian Railways as he wore glasses from an early age and failed optical exam. Science advisor to the Government (1960-1974). University of Cambridge graduate with Double First-Class Honours in Maths & Physics (1949). Awarded Pakistan's highest civil awards Nishan-e-Pakistan (Star of Pakistan, 1959) and Nishan-e-Imtiaz (Order of Excellence, 1979). 'Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics' named after him.
- Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan () lawmaker
- Abdul Sattar Edhi (Born 1928) Humanitarian. Founder of Edhi Foundation, world's largest ambulance help service and charity. Foundation modifies the phrase "Live and let live" to "Live and help live". Operates free old people's homes, orphanages, clinics, women shelters, rehab centers for drug addicts and mentally ill individuals. Cared for paralysed and mentally ill mother from age of 11. Awarded Nisan-e-Imtiaz (1989) and Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service (1986).
- Abul Ala Maududi ()
- Qari Shakir Qasmi ()
- Allama Muhammad Iqbal ()
- Ayub Khan Ommaya ()
- Roger H. Armour ()
- Mian Muhammad Mansha ()
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ()
- Javed Miandad ()
- Wasim Akram ()
- Jahangir Khan () Squash player
- Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy ()
important info, tips, hints... ittadhi
- Pakistan's official tourist board:
- Whilst in Rome...: remember YOU'RE in their country so don't expect to imprint your value system. Go with open mind, be respectful, open to learning. If you disagree with something explain to them your views politely. Unless necessity dictates, refrain from aggressive behaviour.
- Shops opening hours: 11am - 7pm everyday except Friday when they're closed.
- 60% shopping rule: Most shopping items - even those with fixed prices - are negotiable. Shopkeepers will usually request twice the normal price for an item, specially if they suspect you're not a local, therefore bargain with them and settle for 50-60% of their original quote.
- One pair for the Mosque: sandals get 'mistakenly' taken (read robbed)
- Monsoon period: June-August torrential rain in the morning followed by blazing hot sun in the afternoon then more rain in the night. Best time for sports are during colder period of November-February.
- Mosquito bites: regardless of what you do or whether you're in city, town or village you'll get biten pretty much every evening.
- Conservative clothing: men - formal look very professional and classy or 'bodroh' (gentile)
Londoni is not responsible for the content of external sites.
May Allah bless Pakistan and its people. Ameen.